Monday, October 02, 2006

della Vittoria

Sean Cardinal O'Malley took possession of the his Titular Church, Santa Maria della Vittoria this past weekend.

I remember my trip to Rome several years ago, gathering my best Italian to ask a Roman, "Scusa signore, dove la chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria?" His directions led me to this beautiful church re-dedicated to the Catholic victory over the Turks at the Battle of Lepanto on October 7, 1571.

The Cardinal is standing before the Altar of The Ecstacy of Saint Teresa of Avila by Bernini. This sculpture is illuminated by natural light through an alabastar "window". The gold and marble are radiant. This is most certainly one of my favorite works of art.

Oh, to have the privilege of celebrating the Holy Sacrifice o f the Mass at that altar, especially in these trying, sensitive times. Maybe a letter to our new blogger-buddy might help. (I'll awake from my dream soon enough.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home