Monday, August 14, 2006

A Holy Encounter

This afternoon I had the great pleasure to have a conversation with a very holy, older, Traditional priest. (He was ordained two years before I was born!) The Lord brought us together today. I had wanted to meet him for quite some time, but never "made time" to visit. On my way home from the parish office, I made a u-turn straight to his rectory! Unannounced, I introduced myself; he responded with a huge welcome. He shared with me a bit of his personal history, and spoke of some of the troubles besetting our Church. It was as though we were speaking with the same voice.

One issue we spoke of -- Communion in the hand. (Communion in the paw." as Caveman says.)

"To touch the sacred species and to distribute them with their own hands is a privilege of the ordained, one which indicates an active participation in the ministry of the Eucharist." -- Pope John Paul II, 1980 Dominicae Cenae end of paragraph 11.

What happened?

We agreed on the need for priests to be men of prayer, spending time praying the Divine Office, the Holy Rosary, and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Before I left, I spent some time before the Blessed Sacrament in his tiny chapel. I thanked the Lord for bringing us together. We parted promising to pray for one another. We will meet again. Deo gratias.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

I just posted on Communion in the hand yesterday and received many disagreeing comments. I believe that Communion should be on the tongue. I am enjoying your blog and will put a link to you in my sidebar. I plan on entering the seminary next year.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home