Friday, April 27, 2007

RIP

The Lord said: Well done, good and faithful servant, because thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will place thee over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord. – Matthew 25:21
Many words describe the person who Vera was. But the one which stands out for me is “faithful.” Allow me to describe how that faithfulness played out.

Vera had a determined agenda in this life as her character demonstrated. When her house needy tidying she cleaned and scrubbed until every speck was eliminated. When she saw the parish kitchen needed work she fixed and organized every detail. When I was hungry she made tortillas and chorizo! These are only a few examples of her faithfulness.

I remember one of the first things she asked of me upon my arrival in 1993 was for a nice Sunday missal. I guided her through the index and helped her through the book so that she would always be prepared for Mass. We all knew when she would ready herself, when she would arrive at Mass, and where she would sit. Her life seemed to be a routine, but, it was a determined and faithful agenda.

When my parents visited she was the perfect hostess with a fine meal prepared in her spotless kitchen. Vera and my mother hit it off right away. She occasionally made calls to my mom updating her on my well-being. In fact, my mother stills asks of her regularly.

Vera would kid me about my middle name. She’s the only person who ever said to me, “What do you want now Walter?” She would call my dog Mario “quatro patas.” No one was spared her sense of humor!

Ten years ago when I left the parish she was the last person to wave goodbye. But even in that leave-taking she had an agenda. She purchased for me subscriptions year-after-year to the local newspaper so that I could keep abreast of all-things-Miami-Globe.

So today we mourn our loss. In our memories of Vera we shake our heads, and smile a bit, remembering all that she was in our lives. And I am certain that the first thing she’ll say after entering those Gates will be, “What do you want now Jesus?”

Eternal rest grant unto her O Lord.
And let the perpetual light shine upon her.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger StBlog said...

Father, I will join my prayers with yours for the repose of Vera's soul. May the memories of her faithfulness assist you throughout your ministry.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

+ May she rest in peace +

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like she was a good friend to you -- as well as a thoughtful, admirable person. I'm sorry for your loss.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If she called you Walter then I like her too!

What a lovely way for you to honor your friend with this post.

I, too, am sorry for your loss. However, I hope you and all who knew her find comfort in your memories as well as in the knowledge that you will be together again some day.

(You were in Miami???)

12:48 PM  
Blogger Fr LWG said...

Yes. Miami, AZ.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home