Monday, February 05, 2007

Redemptionis Sacramentum says...

If you want to kneel, you may kneel
Vatican instructions on Holy Communion clearly permit faithful to receive the sacrament kneeling and on the tongue

California Catholic Daily | February 5, 2007

Here is the relevant guidance from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of Sacraments contained in Redemptionis Sacramentum, issued in April 2004:

“In distributing Holy Communion it is to be remembered that ‘sacred ministers may not deny the sacraments to those who seek them in a reasonable manner, are rightly disposed, and are not prohibited by law from receiving them.’ Hence any baptized Catholic who is not prevented by law must be admitted to Holy Communion. Therefore, it is not licit to deny Holy Communion to any of Christ’s faithful solely on the grounds, for example, that the person wishes to receive the Eucharist kneeling or standing.”(Emphasis added.)

And this:

“Although each of the faithful always has the right to receive Holy Communion on the tongue, at his choice (emphasis added.), if any communicant should wish to receive the Sacrament in the hand, in areas where the Bishops’ Conference with the recognitio of the Apostolic See has given permission, the sacred host is to be administered to him or her...”

To read Redemptionis Sacramentum in its entirety from the Vatican website:
Click Here.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many pointless, pointless rules...leadership through confusion. Gets 'em every time.

10:44 PM  
Blogger prevat2 said...

Having spoken to several bishops and numerous priests over the years, I have yet to hear a thoughtful, theological answer as to why we went from a universal posture of kneeling at the altar rail to receive from a priest, only on the tongue, to standing in the "conga line," and receiving from "Bob the Butcher" as an EMHC. Please, anybody, enlighten me?
P.S. Vatican II NEVER called for any of this. So what happened?

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This, to me, is simply common sense. .... I am someone who has been denied Holy Communion because I would not say my name before the Eucharistic minister said, "Body of Christ." Really now.

Although I prefer to receive Holy Communion while standing and in my hand, I do feel that people should be allowed to receive it while kneeling. Thank goodness those in wheelchairs are allowed to receive Holy Communion while seated. However, at the church I attend, people in wheelchairs must sit in the back of the church. I can think of no reason for this -- at least none that makes any sense.

God bless.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen

10:29 AM  
Blogger prevat2 said...

Once again, I'm asking for a clear, theological answer as to why we changed after hundreds and hundreds of years, receiving kneeling at the altar rail. Father, any answers?

If I were a bishop, I would mandate that EMHCs would ONLY be used to take communion to those in hospital or sick at home. No more at Mass. I'd mandate a return of the altar rail, and receiving only on the tongue and via a priest or deacon.

There would be, no doubt, a huge out cry from the left and from my fellow bishops. I would hold a "press conference" and in clear, concise, pre-Vatican II speak, tell them all to "pack sand!"

Semper Fi

6:12 AM  
Blogger Fr LWG said...

Prevat2, I don't have an answer either. I have asked exactly the same question. You know how so many things after V2 just spun out of control.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home