Sunday, January 14, 2007

Applause. What's the point?

Found at http://thecrescat.blogspot.com/

Applause, Really??

A new trend has hit my parish, heaven help me. Applause after mass. What the hell are these barking clapping seals going on about?

Ohhhh. I know, since the whole set up is for the congregation's entertainment we forgot what was really going on. THE SACRIFICE OF THE MASS!

I unloaded my disgust a few days ago. I had some earnest prayer follow. Then decided I should just get over myself. What did I mean by that? I myself am not sure. I certainly didn't mean that I was willing to let myself get lulled into complacency while all the traditions of the Church crumple at my feet.

Some times anger is good, damn good. We should be angry at injustice. We shouldn't be forced to try and "get over ourselves" and accept the degradation of the mass. We should NEVER have to make a decision... do I leave this rite or Church or do I just shut my mouth and sit quietly in my pew.

The
Holy Mother Church has been shackled, bound, gagged and blindfolded. Do I just get over myself and walk away or do I continue to utter my contempt? The more I think about it, the more I chose the latter. I can't be silent. I don't want to be silent. Call me a glutton for punishment.

The truth of the matter is, when I decided to get over myself my passion died. I have passion for the Church that is why I get so overwhelmed. I need to redirect my passion and anger into promoting change instead of feeding it into my despair. Now THAT is getting over myself and getting into the Church again.

The Church MILITANT! Too many martyrs and holy souls died for the Truths of the Church regardless of what heresy was popular at the time. That IS being a Catholic of the Sword. But I contend that is out of love that we feel these rages and injustices and take them as personal attacks. That LOVE is what breeds the warm & fuzzy trad. The two can be synonymous.

I decided to get back into the ring of things at church. I just can't throw up my hands in desperation and surrender my resolve to the aging hippies that dominate the lay ministries. Heaven help me.

I better look into getting some blood pressure medication prescribed. Pray for me.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Anita Moore said...

I'll pray for you. Please pray for my parish too, where disobedience and blasphemy were preached from the pulpit today, and part of the congregation responded with applause.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Fr LWG said...

Pray for the flocks who are being led astray. And thank God for those who resist Satan's deceit.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ has just given himself to us unreservedly in the Eucharist, but let's not forget to show our appreciation for the musicians. I wonder if any priest has ever prompted a second applause from the congregation for Jesus. I wonder if people would be as appreciative for him. Don't tell me that "Singing is praying twice", or having anything to do with prayer for that matter, when we clap for the musicians after Mass; we perpetuate the notion that they are performing - the intention of which has nothing to do with the sacred function of facilitating worship.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Smith said...

Don't ever forget that the ones who want rubber duckies in the baptismal font ( You know, I actually saw that on a historical tour of an Episcopal church! ) aren't being held back by "gentle souls" cautioning them to get over themselves. They're trumpeting their notions to everyone who'll listen, while saying they "love the Church enough to speak out". Don't give in to the cult of the mealy-mouth. Keep speaking out. That's what the saints did, and saints are what we need most.

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is the word Mass not spelled with an uppercase "M" in this post?

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At the Mass I attended yesterday there was plenty of applause. Five babies were baptized during the Mass. There was applause after each baptism -- then applause after all baptisms were complete. == I found it to be distracting although I am certain it was a way for people to share the joy they felt with the families.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Fr LWG said...

Seems like Carolina's thoughts are well received. I hope she gets some blood pressure meds before next Sunday. I have mine ready.

Be sure to catch her blog listed at the top of the post where I found these great thoughts.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Paul Nichols said...

Yes, it seems applause isn't so well received by many. I can't stand it myself.

My parish isn't awful - but without our current pastor, it WOULD be.

I've had to teach my children about the Faith, but I've also had to teach them what NOT to do because of all the idiots out there. Like:
No hand-holding during the Our Father.
No Orans position during the Our Father.
No applause.
No dressing like a slob for Mass.

Applause is just another part of Hippy Catholicism. (Thanks for grabbing my cartoon, Father!)

I'll applaud when they stop the applause.. :oD

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home